My first ultra, the Devil Mountain 50, was total training for me. I was told to just go out and enjoy it. so I did until I bonked really hard, but once I crossed that finish line, I forgot all about it. And man I learned a lot.
Thinking about it now, I can’t believe some of the things that happened, it just makes me laugh.
- Did not fully pack my running gear the night before – long drive and too tired.
- Used an inflatable air mattress – it went flat in the night.
- Hit the snooze button too many times.
- Lost tract of time and missed the start of the race.
- Wrongly predicted/calculated my pace.
Race mistakes 8G7HP3XTB5CE
- Too much caffeinated GU early in the race in conjunction with good music – a bit hyper.
- Ran out way too fast due to missing the start and wanted to make up the lost time.
- Forgot my headlamp in the drop bag at the last aide station.
- Did not eat around mile 40, wasn’t hungry – Bonked later.
- Did not inspect my feet for blisters at any of the aide stations.
- Thought a blister on my foot was a rock in my shoe, but couldn’t find the rock?